Bringing Culture to Central Florida One "Y'all" At A Time

Saturday, July 23, 2011

Remembering Your Roots


When my grandfather passed away last year, we found this newspaper article among his possessions. It shows his father, so my paternal great-grandfather. I think it must be around 60 years old. I love how it talks about my great-grandfather's mule, Jim, who he plowed the fields with for more than 17 years. Recently, I had the article framed and now it hangs in my office at work. Every day I stare at it, and I'm proud of where I came from.

Below the part talking about my great-grandfather, the article describes a pear tree that grows at "the old Luke Pagett place" and tells how no cutting from the tree could ever be rooted. Also, if the seeds of the pears from the tree were planted, the trees never bore fruit.

What a different time, when stories about a 43-year old mule and a crazy pear tree made the newspaper! When I first read the article, I felt an indescribable sense of longing for that era.

No comments:

Post a Comment