Bringing Culture to Central Florida One "Y'all" At A Time

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Easy Dinner


I am still struggling with balancing working with cooking. Chris and I cook a lot, but it requires a lot of cooking and planning ahead when you work. I have so much more respect for my Mama! She always worked long hours and had a home-cooked meal on the table.

This is one of my go-to meals lately when I'm short on time. I also make it ahead of time and cook it the next day when I get home from work.

Chicken Enchilada Casserole:

Ingredients:
2 large cans of cooked chicken
1 or 2 cans kidney, black, or pinto beans (drained)
1 cup of salsa
1 can of cream of celery soup
paprika to taste
hot sauce to taste
corn tortillas (6 to 10)
frozen corn kernels
1 onion, chopped fine and sauteed (optional)
1 cup shredded cheese (cheddar or Mexican blend)
cilantro, to taste

Tear the corn tortillas into bite size pieces and set aside. Lightly spray a casserole dish with nonstick spray and then put a layer of the tortilla pieces. Stir all of the other ingredients besides the cheese together in a large bowl. Layer the casserole dish with a layer of the tortilla pieces, then a layer of the chicken mixture, then a layer of the cheese. Repeat until all gone. Make sure the top layer is cheese. I usually top mine with chopped green onions.

Bake at 350 for 35 minutes, or until hot.

I love this recipe because you can make it different every time. Sometimes I add chopped celery, or sauteed onions and bell pepper. I added chili powder the last time I made it. And it makes great leftovers for the next day.

Definitely not a Martha Stewart recipe, but pretty good for something that takes about 5 minutes of prep time! I like to make it on Sundays and then cook it when I get home from work on Monday. And it's pretty healthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment