A note of advice about farmers' markets: Don't assume that everything is local or organic simply because it's at a farmers' market. Ask questions! If I wanted to buy Peruvian asparagus, or California grapefruits I would go to Publix. The whole purpose of buying from a farmers' market is to buy seasonal, local items. So if you see something there that you know either is not in season, or does not grow in your area, don't buy it! Buy it cheaper at the grocery store.
Citrus right now is starting to be VERY cheap, even at the farmers' market. And from what I understand, the citrus season has barely started. I'm pumped!
After the farmers' market, I met a friend for breakfast downtown and then watched the Christmas parade. I was happy to see that there was a manger float in the city Christmas parade (and they still call it a Christmas parade!). Saturday night was a girls night get-together at a friend of a friend's house.
Then today I went to church, where we had a WONDERFUL Christmas concert. It ended with the whole congregation singing Christmas carols. After church, I came home and cooked with my finds from Saturday. I made guacamole with the avocados, and spaghetti sauce with the bell peppers. I sliced the mangoes and put them in the freezer... Mango margaritas will be coming up at the Bailey house soon! And right now there is an apple pie in the oven. I'm using an Italian recipe that I've used before where you add fresh rosemary to the apple pie. It sounds strange, but it's wonderful!
I enjoyed slowing down, opening my eyes, and both observing and participating in my community this weekend. Now I plan on being a fairly regular customer to the farmers' market.
Oh! I also bought hot cocoa made with chili powder and cinnamon. Maybe I should make a cup to drink with my slice of pie and just dare my blood sugar to take it?
No comments:
Post a Comment