Chris and I drove to Christmas, Florida today to mail my Christmas cards. We put them in the outside letterbox, though, so I hope they still get the Christmas postmark!
I drive through Christmas every day on my way to work. The post office has a Christmas wreath outside and a tree inside all year round. I read in Southern Living about how people travel every year to mail their Christmas cards from Christmas, and I figured since I live so close I have no excuse not to try it out!
Mailing Christmas cards is a tradition that is slowly dying out. And that makes me both sad and slightly angry. Sending Christmas cards is a relatively inexpensive, quick way to spread holiday cheer and show family and friends that they are in your hearts during the season. I don't care if I am the last American left who sends Christmas cards. I plan on sending them until the day I die. My only regret this year is not ordering enough! I had a coupon at Walgreen's for 25% off a Christmas card order, and then they were on sale even more the day after Thanksgiving. I only had 50 ordered but I may have to make another order!
My holiday challenge for everyone: Take an hour or two out of your busy day and send out Christmas cards! Christmas would lose a lot of its magic if everyone decided to stop sending them. If it means something to you to receive them, then send a few in return! This is a tradition that can easily be saved.
During World War I, soldiers from different nations, fighting on opposing sides, came to a brief truce on Christmas Eve that lasted through Christmas day. They celebrated together, singing carols in their own languages. I believe that the day after Christmas, most of the men had to be transferred by their commanding officers because they refused to fight the men they had celebrated Christmas with. Read more about it here if you want. There is a wonderful movie about this event called Joyeux Noel starring Diane Kruger and Daniel Bruehl.
If being in the trenches during World War I didn't stop them from celebrating Christmas and sticking to holiday traditions, then simply "being too busy" shouldn't stop us!
No comments:
Post a Comment