Bringing Culture to Central Florida One "Y'all" At A Time

Tuesday, December 28, 2010

I Wish My Family Was Vegan...



I wish my family had raised me Vegan. Maybe then I would not love bad food so much and would be really skinny and never have to work out. Alas, I was raised by real Southern women who had a casserole and pie for any and every occasion.

My mom and I are working on a family cookbook. We started looking at recipes a few days ago, collecting old recipes from family members. Some of my grandmother's favorites have faded to the point of being difficult to read. I am so glad Mom and I are doing this. My mother and aunt are amazing cooks, and my grandmother took the cake (pun intended). It would be so sad to lose all of my grandmother's recipes forever. I'm hoping to add some recipes of my own, and some of Katie's and Rana's, as well as friends of our family's.

It's definitely slow going. I think I've spent 3 or 4 hours to input 27 recipes. Of those, only 2 were vegetables. And that's counting candied yams. Yup. Wish I had been raised Vegan.

We are using a website called Heritage Cookbook, and so far I have been very pleased with how easy it is. So excited about getting all of the family recipes in one place where we can easily read them! I feel so close to my grandmother tonight, reading her handwriting and looking at recipes she clipped from magazines and changed by writing corrections and suggestions in the margins.

My grandmother was Southern Cook Supreme. Mom and Aunt Gaye are amazing cooks. I guess I'm sort of an amazing cook in training? Hopefully I'll be at their level some day (probably at the expense of both mine and Chris's arteries).

No comments:

Post a Comment